Trials,Tribulations, Travels, Tastings...and Occassional Transcendence

Trials,Tribulations, Travels, Tastings...and Occassional Transcendence
Sock on the Great Wall

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Feeling Better

Ok, so today I feel loads better...or at least I do for now. I think the epic ride yesterday most certainly put things into perspective.

Wednesdays are regularly ladies night at the shop. These rides are led usually by my co-worker Sam or myself (when I can get there). The pace is slower than I would like, but the women are super cool and the rides prove to be a good time, regardless.

Yesterday, I was the only woman that showed up. So Sam and I decided to head out for a nice ride to Mendon Ponds
Park - at a bit faster pace. The ride started out great despite my legs being so sore from my run the night before. (A painful reminder that I need to be more consistent with my running). We cruised and chatted enjoying the warm summer breeze and much needed sunshine. We went through the park and began to head back towards the shop when we heard thunder in the distance. No worries the sun was still out and the clouds seemed to be miles away. The next thing we know the sky opened up and bolts of electricity started flying over our heads. The thunder strikes were directly next to us. I felt as if my ear drums would rupture with each clap. The rain came down with such intensity that I struggled to get my feet to churn the pedals. My shoes collected rain water beyond saturation point. Not to mention my drenched chamois - I don't remember being in diapers, but I can now only imagine...gross. The wind was so strong it was blowing us all over the road. Which wasn't hard because of the hydroplaning action of our tires. Despite the feeling of complete mortality and the harsh realisation that at any moment we could be struck by a lightning bolt we were both laughing hysterically the entire time (in between screams, of course).

By the time we reached the shop the rain had subsided, the sun was back out from behind the dark clouds and there was a most brilliant rainbow in the eastern sky. Both Sam and I were wringing out our gloves and jerseys laughing at the brief yet harrowing experience we had just been through. I think the boys at the shop enjoyed seeing two women come in absolutely soaking wet. Definitely feeling better today.

No comments: