Trials,Tribulations, Travels, Tastings...and Occassional Transcendence

Trials,Tribulations, Travels, Tastings...and Occassional Transcendence
Sock on the Great Wall

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Dangers of Over-Analysing

I am an over analyser - In everything I do - In every aspect of my life. I can’t help it. I try to stop but to no avail my mind just naturally drives itself to put all occurrences, experiences, thoughts, etc. under a figurative electron microscope. However, to say that I am detail oriented would be a completely false statement. One would think that with an overly analytical mind would come order and decorum. WRONG! I wish that were the case. For some bizarre reason I can’t keep things straight to save my life – either mentally or otherwise. Well, perhaps if a life were truly in jeopardy, I might be forced to clean my mental house…but that scenario has never (and hopefully will never) present itself.

With my job it is expected that we keep everything in order - in detailed, well documented and engineered order. I, on the other hand, am the equivalent of the absent- minded professor. (Well, to say I am of the intellect of a professor would be drastically over inflated). Anyway, I am a tornado when I work. My papers are scattered randomly across my entire workspace, spilling onto the floor and into adjacent cubicles. I work on multiple projects simultaneously only because I have to. I can not focus on only one task at a time – it is a futile attempt and nothing gets accomplished. I am a mess – or so it seems to the untrained eye. When in fact in this mayhem of documentation and flurry of pencils I find myself contently completing one mundane task at a time.

Back to the over analysation. So why is it that some people are in fact over-analysers while others just seem to drift along in their blissful acceptance of the way the world works? I can not comprehend the latter. While I am for the most part very optimistic, I tend to question everything and wonder why it is the way it is. Not because it’s just supposed to be. There must be a reason, a driving force, a theory, an alternate push to the pull…why sometimes it all works in symbiotic unison while other times it is in complete disarray? When I ask about it "all" or "it" I suppose I mean all of it, the world, life, everything. Ok, so this train of thought is quite possibly the direct result of not enough sleep, too much caffeine and an overwhelming workload. I just needed a 10-minute break from my day to ensure sanity. To all that are going to read this and wonder what drug I’m on…don’t wonder, most of you who do know me already know, I don’t require drugs for these things :)

15 comments:

Jennie said...

Dear wonder twin,
I am an over analyzing wreck myself. If you could only see my desk in cube land. not only are there way to many documents scattered, there is evidence of my ridiculously fast metabolism (not in a dirty gross way, just present when the blood sugar drops and I take a trip to irrationalville).. I believe you've been on a few of those trips yourself...

Ari said...

I know not of what you speak - this irrationalville and blood sugar dropping madness. I am a perfectly balanced machine of perfection! hahahahaahaha

flahute said...

I'd say "it is what it is", but I'm afraid I'd get lynched.

B-Horn said...

Its all really how you look at it.

Sometimes things seem not the wildI
Always other ways could be seeN
Nonsense not 2 understand thy faceS
Ery'one could look to just obligatA
Really it could be both in commoN
Universally does it make any SensE

'Cause sista it really comes down to this...Are you a left sided thinker or a right?

Ari said...

B Horn-It is totally INSANE that I am a completely left brained individual!

B-Horn said...

Ari,

Here is the good news. You made one critical error, you looked to the right not the left...now look to the left hand side please...

Remember it is all how you look at it... See!

When I read your blog entry everything was clear except the most clear really stood out to me- then the rest became less important static... and that "most clear" was- amongst the dangling papers you did one thing really well, you took on one logical mundane step at a time to accomplish each goal...in fact you do that so much during the day, it is a natural reaction to do the opposite at home... so guess what... embrace the opposite first when you get home, then when your mind is ready go do your logical mundane step by step way of takin' care of the biz sista, then and only then take care of the biz, u dig?

B-Horn said...

Course you realize that a glorified fly who spins around in cirles and stings things is offering a perspective...

flahute said...

More like flying ants with stingers than flies, B-Horn ...

B-Horn said...

Fla-man you are so right- that is exactly what I am, a flying ant with bad... stingers. Sweet! Thanks man!

Anonymous said...

It might be what separates us from the animals. I over analyzed my life....now I'm a two times divorcee(not as sexy as it sounds.) Now, I try to rely on the senses I was given, occasionally I have to verify them with my dogs.

Ari said...

Wow I didn't realize such insight would be derived from my babble...I appreciate the psycho analysis from all. It's most nice to know that you guys can see the place of insanity from which I am speaking of. And MT, I have learned (over the years) to always go with your gut and to allow my dogs to be the judge, jury and executioners of my peers (romantic or otherwise - they haven't been wrong yet)!

flahute said...

I have never met a dog that didn't like me ...

Now if I could only say the same thing about women ...

Jennie said...

steven, remember what I told you about Ari... don't make me hurt you.... And not in a good way

Anonymous said...

How do you even know that you are over analyzing?

I figured stick to the questions that can be answered and the ones that can't let them be for the moment.

Be an "ant" and enjoy it. Do you know what I mean by ant?

Anonymous said...

Hey I think your the leader with the number of comments posted.