Trials,Tribulations, Travels, Tastings...and Occassional Transcendence

Trials,Tribulations, Travels, Tastings...and Occassional Transcendence
Sock on the Great Wall

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Iditarod Training with a Clear Mind


Nothing like a great 2 hour trek in snowshoes with two good friends, my dogs and some headlamps to clear out the cob webs in my head. After dealing with severe mental incapacities all day yesterday - including, but not limited to: almost running over a man at the gas station and blatantly running a red light without reaction - I awoke to 100% full brain function...at 3 in the morning.

Finally yesterday afternoon the snow came - finally! Ok, so it only ended up resulting in an overall accumulation of 3 inches but it was just enough to get me through. You know when you hit your threshold and just feel like you can't take anymore and then something happens - just that little bit - to get you over the worst? That's what those 3 inches yesterday did for me (sounds kind of disappointingly dirty - but if you are familiar the winters here, you know where I'm coming from - all inappropriate comments aside - this is directed at you C.B :)

We met at Mendon around 7pm - myself with the fur balls and J.B. and Suji - to the glow of our headlamps set out on a really nice trail which circled Quaker Pond. What a great time - and how absolutely needed for my sanity! The trek was tiring but not ass-kicking. Afterwards I hit up Wegmans for some caloric necessities as my body was beginning to head down the irrational path of hypoglycemic shock. My fault for not going prepared - I figured the couple of tablespoons of peanut butter and handful of m&m's prior to the hike would be sufficient for the night...ha - I know myself (and my ridiculous metabolism) better than that! Completed my running for the night, I resided myself to go home, shower and sleep. By the time I hit the sack the dogs were crashed out like they just ran a leg of the Iditarod. Pathetic! It was only a 2 hour trek - now who's to blame for their physical weakness? I stare at the mirror at my tired face and smile - yes, I take full responsibility. No worries, we will train again tomorrow.

As mentioned before, I woke with a clear head - at 3 in the morning. Wide awake, mind running with the thoughts that were a day previous completely frozen. Now they were thawed and like a stream coming out of the winter, fiercely churning with the melting spring snow. I tried to get back to sleep to no avail. The thoughts wouldn't stop, the stream was reaching the banks, dangerously close to flooding. Finally I think I passed out - 10 minutes before the alarm went off.

So here I am with a clear head and dark circles under my eyes. Does it get any better than this? I think I will drag my doggies to the lake later today and do it all over again. After all I cannot have my dog team passed out after one leg of the race...they are a reflection of my training, you know.

7 comments:

Julie said...

I had so much fun on our hike last night too. I am just so proud that I didn't get us lost. We should do that again soon. I think I will be in town this weekend. Some people as still MIA but at least I got a text from someone last night. I am just glad that I didn't have to call the DEC and report my friends where chillin at the bottom of some cravase somewhere.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to note- several of my female friends yesterday, including myself, were having similar experiences of being out of it, stressed, anxious, etc. The Moon was in Aries yesterday which causes big time energy and not always in a pleasant way. Today however the Moon has shifted into Taurus which is oh so much more stable. I noticed as the day wore on into evening I began to feel better...as the moon slide right on into Taurus. So that's my take on it. Sledding sounds so fun! :)

flahute said...

Are snowshoes even necessary when there's only 3-inches on the ground?

stickboy said...

Ahhh, winters in Rochester...fond memories -although I kinda just missed all the snow last year after my escape II.
But you do have Wegmans...trust me, that is worth something! I still think you should point your compass this way some day.

stickboy said...

Ahhh, winters in Rochester...fond memories -although I kinda just missed all the snow last year after my escape.
But you do have Wegmans...trust me, that is worth something! I still think you should point your compass this way some day.

Ari said...

Yes, Steven, they are. Negative Nancy! The snow here is different from Utah. Much more moisture = more slippery/icy. Either walking crampons or snowshoes are a plus in the woods.

Ari said...

...especially when the duo I have are dragging you - not so easy to stop on a downhill slope unless you have really good traction.