Trials,Tribulations, Travels, Tastings...and Occassional Transcendence

Trials,Tribulations, Travels, Tastings...and Occassional Transcendence
Sock on the Great Wall

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Sock's Story

Sock monkey has been the best travel buddy I have ever had (next to Steph, Lynn and my other cohorts). He was a gift to me when I travelled to Russia three years ago from my ex so that I would have a reminder of him during our summer apart. Sock (as we have fondly come to call him) has seen and experienced more of the world than most humans dream of. When Lynn and Steph joined me in Russia they quickly came to love him and the 3 of us decided to create "the Adventures of Sock Monkey" series. And so his life of infamy (and sometimes debauchery) began...

Having broken up with the giver of Sock sometime ago, I have since donated, burned or given away all he had ever given to me. It was my way of starting over, coping or whatever you may call it (female drama?). The one thing I could not get rid of was Sock. He became so much more than a gift. He became a partner in crime, an integral part of my travels, and an anticipated familiar red smile among our photos. Deciding that I needed to let him go (sob) to finally be completely over the past was a most difficult decision. I scoured my mind and quietly studied my friends to decide who would have the honor of being Sock's new travel partner. So it only seemed natural when one average day I was reading my friend Lynn's blog from El Salvador, then the next from Guatemala, then the next from Montreal or wherever she had ended up...she just had to be the next owner of Sock!

So this past weekend I met with Lynn in Vermont. Not letting her know exactly what was going to happen, I discretely placed Sock on her bed in the hotel prior to her arrival (sob). When she did finally show up he greeted her with a most welcome and very familiar red smile that we have all grown so found of. She didn't even ask but just knew why he was on her bed. The rest of the weekend he spent in her care, driving in her car, photos in her house...

It is still hard for me, but I know he is in good hands and he will see far more of the world with Lynn. I only asked that I keep getting photographic evidence of his amazing endeavours and that he join us on our adventures, as well. God speed, Sock!

1 comment:

stickboy said...

I hope Sock sends you some photos of his adventures.