Trials,Tribulations, Travels, Tastings...and Occassional Transcendence

Trials,Tribulations, Travels, Tastings...and Occassional Transcendence
Sock on the Great Wall

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Road Tripping

So I just returned from my weekend of many miles, bad radio and even worse drivers...it's so good to be home. As I sit with my laptop, in my bed, surrounded by my menagerie of animals (real ones, not stuffed - sock monkey has a new owner now...that's a whole other story). I must say as much as I love to travel and experience new locations, re-live old locations or just get out of Rottenchester - I ABSOLUTELY HATE DRIVING! No matter how amazing the destination if the road trip requires me behind the wheel, I will most definitely be frazzled at the end of it all.

The fact that I don't have any real means to good tunes doesn't help matters. Why is it that in the rural parts of our country the only stations available to us are either "bad" country or bible thumping? I say "bad" country because there is such a thing as good country. For instance Rascal Flatts is bad country. George Strait is good country. You get the picture? Probably not but that's irrelevant.

So then my other choice were the stations that felt they needed to save my sinful soul. NO thanks. I know I am a far cry from a saint, but I do try to live a good, clean life (ok, so I like to drink, however, monks make beer & Jesus turned water into wine...I rest my case - of 2003 Modavi Reserve Cabernet). So to try and stomach the blasphemous spew that's crying out for me to take Jesus into my heart, blah, blah from a man who most likely has at least one if not several mistresses is intolerable! Ok, so then I turn to the a.m. dial on my 1998 standard Subaru radio...and I do find salvation. This auditory ray of sunlight through the clouds of the f.m. convolution comes in the form of NPR. Ah yes, the only thing I have to keep me from barrelling into on-coming traffic or veer my 16" wheels (hell yeah - El Fuego is pimped w/ his racing tires!) off the shoulder then subsequently off a cliff. This however is impossible due to the fact that NYS Thruway is as flat as the road killed possum I passed by mile marker 179. So to drive off the shoulder would only result in my car engaging it's all wheel drive and keep going through some poor farmer's field destroying either his soybean crop or scaring the shit out of his cattle. We don't like hurting the hard working people in the world.

They say it is not the destination but the journey - in my case destination was the only thing I had going for me...
The leaves in Vermont were amazingly beautiful and the couple of days in Cape Vincent were incredibly relaxing - the journey did provide a well deserved interlude amongst the chaos of the road. And now I am home and grounded - for a few days at least, when the memory of driving fades and the desire of getting the hell out here takes over again!

No comments: