Trials,Tribulations, Travels, Tastings...and Occassional Transcendence

Trials,Tribulations, Travels, Tastings...and Occassional Transcendence
Sock on the Great Wall

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

2007 Is Gone

So here it is - 2008 - Finally! Happy New Year to you all! I welcomed 2008 with some great friends and family at the Mapledale Estates. For those of you who made the journey from either near or far, thank you for making it an incredible night! For those of you who missed it, I am certain that you were there in spirit and that many drinks were drunk in your honor :)

The common tradition is to set some resolutions, goals or aspirations for one to achieve in the succeeding year. I have never been one for following that tradition so instead I have reflected on the past year to see if this next one can be improved upon, or if some sort of lessons could be learned from the experiences of the previous year.

2007 held many ups and downs for me. It haven't had as hard a year since my Grandmother passed away in 2004 - and that year was amazing until that dreadful July. So to say that I cartwheeled into 2008 with high hopes would be more than quite accurate. So far, it's been a hard adjustment but I am determined to make this an amazing year. After all 8 is my lucky number!

Last year was filled with loss. I lost a love, a best friend, an uncle, was betrayed by people I never thought would betray me, lost some family due to drama, some sanity, a bit of my soul to my job, some mobility in my knee, lost trust and faith. In the midst of the negative however I did find more strength within myself, pushed myself to new athletic endeavours, realized the value in true friends, found out that Sergei wouldn't be around forever so I should spend every possible minute with him, found a future home for Sonia, found more unity in my dysfunctional family, found trust and faith, found love, found the need to not lose my soul to a job.

I think I found myself too deep in the trying to figure out the negative when I should have been focusing on the positive. I am always preaching to people to focus on the present - it is what's most important. Not what had happened - it's done, over with, what's necessary is to enjoy the now, soak it all in!

With that - I am going to attempt to follow my own words of wisdom (in fact they are not mine at all, but I have adopted them into my personal mantra) 2008 will be all about focusing on the present (and some future of course) and to rid my life of any drama, bad karma and negativity.

6 comments:

flahute said...

And why do you need to find a future home for Sonia? What's wrong with her current home?

Ari said...

Since Sergei has been diagnosed with a brain tumor I feel the need to concentrate on him. So Sonia is going to live with my sis either temporary or permanent - to be determined. It wasn't an easy decision but I think it's best for now :( I know she will be in good hands.

stickboy said...

Oh, so sorry :(. Dogs lives are too short.

flahute said...

Oh ... so very, very sorry!

Shall I get my stepdad to take some more pix of that hot bitch in Arid-zona to keep his spirits up?

Anonymous said...

Did you grow up a little? Sounds like you did. Kinda mature and responsible writing.

Ari said...

To "you know who" I have considered myself to be "grown up" pretty much since I left my home around 18...perhaps it is all a ruse in my mind, however I think I have the life long friendships, college degrees (& debt associated with the afformentioned) and responsibilities to back me up...not that I should be defending myself on my f--in blog.