Trials,Tribulations, Travels, Tastings...and Occassional Transcendence

Trials,Tribulations, Travels, Tastings...and Occassional Transcendence
Sock on the Great Wall

Friday, August 15, 2008

Must Have Carbon

Somehow it has become apparent to me that I am not cut out to work in excess of eight hours a day. If I do, however, end up in the graces of 'the man' for such an extended period of time, it is most necessary for my mental well being (as well as the mental well being of those around me) that I have enough energy or the time to exercise, eat properly and sleep well. If the latter goals are not met, the results are most disastrous.

This week my life has been lacking all three of the most essential aspects which make me a happy and easy going individual. Good food, sleep and riding bikes.

Just short of a breakdown, I knew it needed to be remedied. Yesterday after working only an eight hour day (what a concept) I finally got to ride the carbon bike that's been parked in my basement for the entire week. The thought of it leaning against that cold cement wall, sitting idle, made my stomach churn with pain not only for the bike but for myself who needed to ride it. In fact, T$ had to make the sacrifice to take it out for a run on Tuesday just so it wouldn't grow cob webs on it. Such a travesty should never be allowed to happen! No worries, I have made amends with the bike gods and rode it last night. And what a ride it was.

The bike is on loan to me from one of our reps - what a great gesture, really. It's his own personal bike and he let me use it. Nice. The bike climbs like a champ, even with a double crank. I didn't think I could handle it, but I climbed up most things that I would with my triple. Perhaps it was the lighter weight carbon frame that helped me climb, perhaps it was just me feeling the need to get more than four days of aggression out of my system. Regardless, the bike was a billy goat and I was a more mentally sound individual afterward, as a result. It's going to be tough to go back to riding Boris and his heavy, hard-tailed, alloy-framed self. Oh well at least I will have the memories of the Sweet Carbon Cannondale to get me through my next bought of work-related-life-enjoying-depletion. Now to work on the good food and good sleep part...


1 comment:

flahute said...

Ah, the Team Scalpel, set-up Sly-style ...

I've been trying to get Chippo to give me one, but unfortunately, I don't think it's to be.

Besides, I'm a roadie.

But this might convert me.

Maybe I'll DQ him in every 'cross race until he either concedes or fires me; since he does own/promote the series.