Trials,Tribulations, Travels, Tastings...and Occassional Transcendence

Trials,Tribulations, Travels, Tastings...and Occassional Transcendence
Sock on the Great Wall

Friday, November 2, 2007

Short Fall Off the Wagon

Ok, so I have come to the painful realization that I am weak. Not physically weak, in that realm (when in top shape) I can hold my own - but mentally that's another story. My weaknesses are manifested in the forms of a great glass of dry, oaky, 1998 Reserve Cabernet or a Post Road Pumpkin Ale. The finer things in life are there for a reason - to be enjoyed.

When I got home Wednesday from climbing, I was all set to go in, shower up and check out for the night. The dogs had a great time at the rock gym as did I. My first day of detox felt great. Then I hear over the fence "Ari? Ari, grab a chair c'mon over. Do you want a beer?". My neighbors were having a small gathering over a fire pit...the battle began in my head. Do I want a beer? Hmmm, of course. "Ari, you are detoxing" angelic Ari said to my embattled brain. "But you only live once...and it is a nice night for a good beer by the fire" the little devil Ari said perched on my left shoulder. If you know me, then you know who almost always wins this battle. I think I threw the little angel Ari into the neighbors fire pit...and cracked open a most delicious Indian Pale Ale. Sometimes being weak has its delicious and thirst quenching high points.

Ok so I am not at a point where I want to give up alcohol. Do I really need to? I will just continue my eating a healthy diet and excercise - that's kept me going so far. After all I did get my trainer set up so I can jump on my road bike whenever I can't ride outside. . . I am not worried. Besides when I move to SLC Jennie will kick my ass if I am not in shape enough to keep up with her. If any of you know Jennie, that's motivation enough! Yikes!

1 comment:

Julie said...

You cant leave me in the Rock by myself. But I sadly encourage you to move out of here. I can kick you ass if you want me to...